Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Roti Prata

Roti prata is a South Indian fried flour-based pancake that is cooked over a flat grill. It is usually served with a vegetable or meat based curry and is sold all over Singapore in food centres. 

Prata is also commonly cooked (upon request) with cheese, onion, banana, red bean, chocolate, mushroom or egg. It is listed at number 45 on World's 50 most delicious foods readers' poll complied by CNN Go in 2011.

Roti Prata can be eaten during breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper or even, in-between meals. Basically, Singaporeans eat round the clock.


Thasevi - one of the famous 24/7 Roti Prata shop in Singapore.
I've been coming here since I was a child because it is located near where I live too.


There are so many kinds of prata with different fillings and thickness, but the ones I usually order are plain, mushroom with cheese, onions, egg and egg with cheese. I've never tried the sweet ones because I prefer savory food by nature, and the idea of roti prata with something sweet kind of disgust me. =p


W in a shopping mall food court with his Roti Prata as breakfast.


JY & I in the coffee house next to my place.




[ADDRESSES - TOP 4 ROTI PRATA HOUSES IN SINGAPORE]
Unfortunately, these 4 Roti Prata Houses are not very accessible via MRT, however, you can always try the Roti Pratas sold in foodcourts located in almost all the shopping malls in Singapore. Personally, I don't see a lot of differences unless they do it really bad. 
 
Thasevi Food
237 Jalan Kayu
Tel: 6481-1537
Open 24 hours daily

The Roti Prata House
246M Upper Thomson Road
Tel: 6459-5260
Open 24 hours daily

Casuarina Curry Restaurant
136 Casuarina Road
Tel: 6455-9093
Open daily from 7am to midnight

Sin Ming Roti Prata
Block 24 Sin Ming Road, #01-51 Jin Fa Kopitiam
Tel: 6453-3893, Open daily from 6.30am to 7pm

9 comments:

  1. You are really horrible leh, I'm stuck indoors everyday rushin work while trying to bear NY's weird weather n here u r showing all ur fun outings n great sg foods...你很 evil leh... o(T^T)o

    - carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Carol How come you didn't mention you are one of the main star guests to most of my fun outings and foodie experiences? LOL!! HAAHAHAHAHA!! 造孽造孽!! I got something to share with you that I think you might be interested in doing up yourself in your little lovely kitchen!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't mention coz I was trying not to remember the food so that I won't crave for them, get it? >:-P

    ?? For the kitchen? What is it?

    -carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Carol LOL!! I was going to ask you whether you could be interested in making your own fruit enzymes. In case you have leftover fruit(s), or you went to the farmers' market and bought a little too much or something? I drank it at the spa thingy place where my mom brought me in Singapore and they made these. It was very nice!! Sourish shiok drink, almost like alcohol.

    The Main Functionalities of Drinkable Fruit Base Probiotic Enzymes are

    Maintain a high alkaline blood ph.
    Improve immune system.
    Improve digestive system and relieve constipation.
    An antioxidant that protects body cells from oxidation by neutralizing free radicals.
    Lower cholesterol level.

    General Probiotic Bacteria in Enzyme

    Protease - Breaks down protein to rid unwanted debris in the blood including certain bacteria and viruses.
    Amylase - Digests carbohydrates along with dead white blood cells.
    Lipase - Digests fat, fat-soluble vitamins, and balances fatty acids.
    Cellulose - Breaks down the fiber in our diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Carol Oh, btw, why are we talking something so healthy like fruit enzymes under the post of "Roti Prata" (One of the most fattening food with ghee)? tsktsk!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... (=_=)... erm, it was you who started on the fruit enzymes thingy leh...

    Fruit enzymes? Like fruit vinegar or cider? (anyway, i normally don't buy a lot of fresh foods each time, just enuf for every 2-3 days' worth :))

    - carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm... don't really know how close it is to fruit vinegar or cider. But I likey and thought you would enjoy the taste too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Looks yummy. I would want to try this at home. Thank you for sharing your Roti Prata food experience. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @AJ@Kampong My pleasure! Nice site you've got. Are you in the process of consolidating nice eat outs in Singapore?

    ReplyDelete