Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Amsterdam 2011 #15

Netherlands's national identity is widely recognised as clogs, windmills and tulips and I learnt during this trip that the Dutch have been making cheese since 400 AD. Nowadays, they are the largest exporter of cheese in the world.

Gouda, Edam, Maasdammer, Boerenkaas, Goat's cheese, Smoked cheese, Dutch blue cheese, Herb Cheese, etc are just a few varieties of Dutch cheese.

We saw a traditional market going on after our lunch at the Pancake Bakery and happily strolled there because all of us wanted to get some Dutch cheese back as souvenirs.





The cheese located right under the hanging tray of cheese, with specks of stuff on it is the "Carrot cheese". Very strong. Too strong for me. My French colleagues love it.


This lady boss is very nice. She was very patient with the whole group of us, let us try what we pointed at generously and recommended us some very good Dutch cheese.

The very first thing I said to her was, "Hello, we are tourists and we want to get some original Dutch cheese." LOL. I wonder what was in my head then. My colleagues were laughing after I said that.

I got 2 kinds of cheese in the end. One is Edam, I don't know the other one, but I like it. LoL. Dutch cheese seems to be much saltier than French ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment