Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Registration Day at La Sorbonne, Paris IV

My school is within the Latin Quarter.
Student bookshops, cafés, cinemas and jazz clubs fill this ancient riverside quarter between the Seine and the Luxembourg Gardens.

Since the Middle Ages this riverside quarter has been dominated by the Sorbonne, and acquired its name from the early Latin-speaking students.

School compound is huge.
It was established in 1253.
Luckily for the 2 kind folks with me, else it will be physically and mentally tiring.
French administration is tedious and very very inefficient.
This is reflected in many of their departments from my experiences.

It's obvious from the pics that the weather today is bad.
No sun.
Gloomy and very cold.
Frequent strong winds and below 0 deg.



The university block stretches all the way till the end of the junction on both sides.
It's not only long but deep too.






Faculty of law is just opposite the main building.
If you look close enough, you'll be able to see "Faculte de Droit" above the doors.



Public compounds right outside the university.







*********************




Area around the school is beautiful.



Just right beside the university is "The Panthéon".








The Panthéon, from Greek Pantheon, meaning "All the Gods".
It was originally built as a church dedicated to St. Genevieve, but after many changes now combines liturgical functions with its role as a famous burial place.
It is an early example of Neoclassicism, with a façade modelled on the Pantheon in Rome, surmounted by a small dome that owes some of its character to Bramante's "Tempietto".

Its architect, Jacques-Germain Soufflot, had the intention of combining the lightness and brightness of the Gothic cathedral with classical principles.

It is one of the most important architectural achievements of its time and the first great neoclassical monument.




*********************




The City Hall of the 5th district of Paris





*********************



Went for lunch before the entrance exam I got to take at 1400hrs.
Which is at another venue in the 14th district.
We went for Japanese food in the 5th district before driving off to the 14th.




This Japanese restaurant serves good food!
Especially the sashimi I had. Really fresh!!


I'm the only Asian girl in the restaurant and the only one who ordered sashimi.
The rest of the people ordered grilled meat like my folks.
And, everyone casted their fair share of curiosity glaces at me on how I eat the sashimi, how I use my chopsticks and how I can manage to swallow raw fish. (My folks included)
But, I was enjoying every bite.




*********************




One of the metro stations we walked passed in the 14th district, "Raspail".





They have windows from ceiling to the floor in the past meant for painters.






Winter scene.






*********************


Entrance exam was so damn hard.
The first page was ok, but the subsequent pages were not that ok.
I was practically using the "elimination" method for quite a lot of questions, without really understanding why that's the answer but because the others were impossible answers.
The open-ended questions were killers.
I tried as best as I can to make the most logical answers but I still can't complete the paper when time's up.

=(

Seems that they want to give us a 下马威 before we even start the first proper lesson.

Going to get my timetable on the 11th Feb. (I'm going to get driven around again, yeah! Thank God, the weather's too cold to walk on the streets. My teeth was clattering even though I was well covered.)
School starting on the 12th.
I was informed that there's going to be a graduation ceremony if I pass my exam too.
Gosh!!
I never imagine I'm going to wear a graduation robe in France!!
I'm going to work hard and wear that mortarboard on my head.
=)




*********************




Anyhow, I'm not intimidated by that difficult entrance exam.
And, seriously, I think Omega-3 is good for the skin.
I've been eating quite a lot of Shake sashimi lately, your skin glows in pic without makeup.
Muhahahaha.


signing off,
serene-in-her-fav-winter-combo-with-jeans-tucked-inside-her-boots

No comments:

Post a Comment