Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Prelude of Student Strike

I was caught in the midst of a mega strike today.
Cos my university is in the same district too.
They are protesting against the 11,200 job cuts in the Education service.

The whole Latin quarter (where a lot of high schs & universities in Paris are located) was blocked off by the police today.
No buses and cars allowed.
I saw a student being hit by the baton right in front of me 3 metres away.
My friends and I were so shocked, we just stood rooted on the ground for a good few seconds.
The feeling is so different when you are there and when you watched it on television.

The first time in my life I've sniffed some bits of tear gas accidentally. (It's terrible and it makes you sick)
There are 3 type of police in France and the type we saw today are trained for strikes.

The scene was spectacular and overwhelming.
Though intimidating, it was a very refreshing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment