Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Frenchsinglish

I was explaining and giving examples of what's Singlish to Fami. As expected from all foreigners, she was amused and laughed at all the typical expressions I've given her. It came to a point when she was thinking how it will sound like in French if some die-hard Singaporeans who insist on moulding all kind of foreign languages like English for example, to Singaporean's English.

I broke off in laughter when she blurted out a modified French sentence the Singlish way. I went home and decided to try it on W.

It's very typical of W to ask me how's my day and what did I learnt in sch everyday when he comes home from work and after that he will start to ask me questions of vocabulary, grammar and some of the verbs conjugaison.


W: How do you say "the skull" in French?
S: le crâne! (beaming cos I know the answer this time)
W: .."the ribs"?
S: la côte!!
W: ..and "the spine" in French?
S: "la vertèbre" or "la colonne vertébrale" or "les vertèbres"!
W: .. "the skeleton"?
S: *a relatively long pause*.....

After 3mins...

S: Je sais pas lah!!

"... Language is a national complex in France. Anglo-Americans consider language as a tool, but the French regard it as an accomplishment, even a work of art. They love and cherish their language in ways that are almost incomprenhensible to English speakers. It's their national monument."
~ Jean-Benoît Nadeau & Julie Barlow, Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong


So, which is to say, I just "accidentally" tumbled a can of paint over his masterpiece.
W's expression was priceless.
Hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment