Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Some Little Facts I've Learnt Recently

  1. In French, they pronounced "Nike" as the sound "Nick" which means "F*ck" in their colloquial language. (No wonder I don't see a lot of people wearing their products, I see more of adidas instead)
  2. My boss is a Spanish guy who grew up in France and is one who can speak Spanish, French, Italian and German but his English is a bit pathetic. Yesterday, he came round to our work station and expressed his sentiments, "I know it's going to be tough looking at the current market now. All these bankruptcy is a nightmare..." (In which he prononced "nightmare" typically how a French would murder the English language in literal terms as "night-mah") "Night-mah". "Night-mah". "Night-mah". LOL!! My colleague and I who heard it tried to supresse our wide smiles and pretended to stare right down at our desks nodding in agreement. Hahaha!!
  3. The famous French footballer, Zidane who has retired from the sport scene is now selling insurance with company ABC and even shot a TV advert for them, which my mil commented in disapproval as "..n'importe quoi.." (meaning whatever!!)
  4. One of our clients (who happens to be quite a monopoly player in that market) actually claims that France, Germany & U.K. are the 3 most important and prominent economic markets in Europe.
  5. You only need less than 7000€ to buy a brand new 4-door car in France. (FYI: There's no such thing as C.O.E. & ERP here, when you buy a car, you buy a car, period.)
  6. When you are really full from a meal, you shouldn't translate directly from Eng-French saying "Je suis plein(e)" [pronounced like: Jer sui "plant" (without the 't'sound)](I am full). This is considered very unglamourous and doesn't look/sound good especially when you are a female. Instead, you should say "J'en ai assez mangé(e)" [pronounced like: John nay ah say mong jay](I've eaten enough).


You bet I was the one who got corrected for #6. I murder the French language everyday with my mispronounciations, my direct translation from time to time, etc. Hahaha.


No comments:

Post a Comment