Pages

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Hôpital Saint Louis

I was at this hospital for something minor today. Not worth mentioning it here.

The hospital itself is the charm. Standing at 400 years old this year, I always wonder how deeply attached the Europeans are to their history, how passionate they can get to preserve anything old?







Seeing it in sepia.


Of course, its interior doesn't look as run-down as these pics I took. They have a lot of extended buildings since 400 years ago. In fact, I saw some construction work going on for some re-modernisation projects.

Isn't it amazing? 400 years ago, when this hospital was completely new, people were all looking like this:


France in the early 1600 A.D.


The stark contrast between the old architecture and modern life (cars, bicycles, metallic benches, even me, people living now) is quite an eye-sore to me. It doesn't look harmonious for some reasons which I can't express in words. Instead of all the cars parking outside the hospital, I would have thought it would be a pleasant sight if someone arrives with a push cart or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment