Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2009

1 week bef Summer + 冷やし中華日ラメン

So Spring's almost over. Well, the heat of Summer has already arrived and I dread it. I'm looking forward to my summer break though!! I'll just bear with the remaining slow weeks.

Air-con is not popular here and I understand why because it doesn't make any sense to install one when you only switch it on for at most 2 months in a year. However, the heat is not helping with my temper. I just don't feel like talking when the heat gets to me. I just feel like I'm perpetually in some bad mood ready to take it out on the next poor victim. That box of belgium hand-made chocolates which I bought on Friday after work made me feel a little better but tomorrow is Monday, again.



冷やし中華日ラメン
(My Bento for boring Mon)

Hiyashi chūka Ramen (冷やし中華ラメン) is a Japanese dish consisting of chilled ramen noodles with various toppings served in the summer. Toppings are usually colorful cold ingredients and a tare dressing.

My toppings include ham, cucumber, tomatoes, omelette sprinkled with sesame seeds and pickled ginger for garnishing. The sauce was packed separately since it will spoil my dish if I out it now and only to eat my bento for lunch tomorrow. I made the sauce using Mirin. Smells really nice and refreshing. Hot, steaming dishes during the day don't sound appetising to me at all in summer.

Mirin (味醂 or みりん) is an essential condiment used in Japanese cuisine, consisting of 40%–50% sugar. It is a kind of rice wine similar to sake, but with a lower alcohol content—14% instead of 20%.


Green tea pancakes with red bean fillings

One of those snacks I bought from the Japanese supermarket recently. Notice the wholesome red beans they have for their fillings. I love all kinds of green tea products!! I will try making green tea ice cream myself this summer holiday when I have time to understand what are some of the ingredients they have written and I am not very sure what I thought are what they are in reality.

** I also did some changes to the template of my blog. I've combined the posts of my bento blog here. For some, you may have already learnt that I've deleted the bento blog. I've got feedback from friends that it is still easier to have everything in one place. I'm labelling my bento related posts now and they can be found easily under labels on my sidebar. I've been lazy bento-ing lately but I'll be back on my pile of newly(still) untouched toys soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment