Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Automne 2011 #3


Back in Singapore, where I met up with KL at Osaka Town in Raffles City Shopping Centre.

Scallop Maki for entrée.
This is a failed microscopic shot, with a failed presentation of wasabi from the chef.


Seafood chanpon (ちゃんぽん) Ramen - This is a noodle dish that is a regional cuisine of Nagasaki, Japan.

Due to the inspiration from Chinese cuisine, it is also a form of Japanese Chinese cuisine. Chanpon is made by frying pork, seafood and vegetables with lard; a soup made with chicken and pig bones is added. Depending on the season and the situation, ingredients differ. Hence the taste and style may depend on the location and time of year.



I'm always at a loss when I see an extensive, elaborated menu. So, I always go for clues - in this case, the "thumb up" signs. I tried their "S2" cos I prefer salmon to hamburger anytime.


Nothing fantastic. Passable.


I always enjoy looking at katsuobushi dancing about on okonomiyaki or takoyaki. I take great care in handling a sunny side up dish. Am I the only weird one? I always work around the egg yolk and make sure I don't break it until the very last moment when I'm about to finish everything.

Do you know the art of making Katsuobushi is fast disappearing in Japan due to its tedious process? A truly dedicated Katsuobushi artisan need to spend 6 months of work before you see them selling in shops. It is really sad to see that many traditional skills are being replaced with factory mass produced products around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment