Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Automne 2011 #28

Today has been a cold day. My face was numbed even when the sun was still up while I did my run. The temperature board at some pharmacy read 6 degrees celcius at around 18H. 

At the end of all my errands for the day, the idea of having a pipping hot baguette straight from the oven attracted me to walk into some random boulangerie that I always pass by in my neighbourhood, but never patronise. There are so many boulangeries here (sometimes a few along the same street!!), more often than not, you just go to the one nearest to your place when you need it whether they are really good or not.

The French shopkeepers twist their paperbags this way. I find it "primitively" cute!!


My primary motive was really just a baguette, but my eyes lit up 1000 mega watts when I caught one of the labels shouting, "Best Chouquettes of Paris (Figaroscope April 2010)".

A quick shot using my mobile phone as the shopkeeper was friendly at first but turned a little bit snappy later.

Figaroscope is a guide on Paris by Le Figaro, the oldest newspaper in France. It has been generally well respected in post-World War II France. Its editorial line is conservative. So, if something as traditional as Le Figaro has voted this traditional French pastry as the best, it is a MUST try. I love chouquettes!!

I got 5 to try. It was really good!!


W tried them and he said it was excellent too.


Their baguette was kinda disappointing to me though. I don't know why it tasted extra "sourish" to me. It could be the dough that they use or something.
"Le Quartier du Pain" ("The Neighbourhood of Breads" if translated literally) is the name of the shop. Frédéric Lalos, as written on its packaging claimed to be the best "ouvrier" in France (Generally speaking, "ouvrier" means labourer. In this context, I supposed it meant the person who is making the breads and pastries in the boulangerie). He utilises authentic and natural flour. He chose the wheat and rye from the best lands in association with the farmers from Auvergne, France.

I didn't know they have 4 outlets altogether in the region of Paris. I will make it a point to get their chouquettes the next time, just like I will get my macarons when I see La Durée or Pierre Herme.

No comments:

Post a Comment