Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Automne 2011 #46

Souvenirs from Amsterdam. Mostly food cos' I'm a glutton. =p

Stroopwafels.
Stroopwafels are waffles made from two thin layers of baked batter with a caramel-like syrup filling in the middle.They were first made in Gouda in the Netherlands, in 1784. Large versions are sold in the streets as a snack.

Source: Wikipedia.

I don't usually like caramel, but the way they do it with the rest of the ingredients make it nice. However, one piece per day is more than enough, it is quite a heavy snack and more than one piece just gives you this sickening sweet aftertaste. I eat it with green tea, or tea without sugar. Maybe, I am just someone who prefer savoury food.
The stiff batter for the waffles is made from flour, butter, brown sugar, yeast, milk, and eggs. Medium sized balls of batter are put on the waffle iron. After the waffle has been baked, and while it's still warm, it's cut into halves. The warm filling, made from syrup, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon, is spread between the waffle halves, gluing them together.


2 kinds of Dutch cheese I brought back from the traditional market that I mentioned here.

I really like it when they wrap things up using paper. The way they fold it and such. Plastic bags are so blah... and environmental unfriendly.


No comments:

Post a Comment