Pages

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Castles of the Loire Valley: Part 1

The area of the castles of the Loire valley extends over 3 ancient provinces: Orléanais, Touraine and Anjou, and down as far as the north of Berry.

During the Hundred Years' War the Loire Valley was the trusted refuge of the French side: Paris, the capital of the kingdom, had surrendered to the Anglo-Burgundians, mad King Charles VI was their hostage.

Charles VII, the dauphin, moved his fragile power and the royal administration to the Loire, travelling endlessly.
This was the custom of the monarchy up to the 18th century, from one town, one castle to the other, so that the King felt at home.

Thus, from one end of the Loire area to the other, we come across him.
Princes of royal blood, great lords, ministers and servants, under his reign or that of his successors, bought and built, creating an exceptional wealth of historical castles.

**

-Chambord: Entrance façade between the south towers, on the left, & east; on the right, the Francis I wing -


A fortified castle known of since the twelfth century.
They used it for war, lodging and hunting.
There is still talk in Sologne of the ghostly hunt of Count Tribaud who rides by, on stormy nights, under the wild clouds.

For detailed history of the Chambord, click here.

**

-The castle's terrace & attic-



I thought I fell back to the 12th century when I saw a horse carriage coming towards me as I walked my way to the castle.




Their fur is really beautiful and smooth.
I was quite surprised to see that they have really big hooves!!
Making click-clock sounds as they strided across the castle compounds.


-Period of Marie Antoinette comes to life?? -


Nah.
These folks wore the costumes for fun.
But, it gave me a nice flash of the past when I walked with them.



**



Inside the castle.


-The royal bedroom & its ceremonial bed, décor for the levee & going-to-bed ceremony according to protocol-

How troublesome and irritating is that when you still have a going-to-bed ceremony to go through when you are so ready to plop in your bed for a snore?
(I imagine myself gotta sing the national anthem before sleep every night... )
So much for being a royal..

I love the chandelier though.
Real crystals!!
I wish they were diamonds..
Hahaha!!

I love European rooms for their intricate details on the wallpaper used, beautifully woven carpets that tell stories of itself, and carvings on the ceilings and walls.
Simply magnificent.


-The gallery of paintings of the Duchess of Berry-



-The birth of the Count of Chambord (1820)-



-Left:Bedroom of Francis I, Right: The Queen's bedroom-
So, whenever did social protocol states that blue is for men and red is for women?



**


Chambord would have not much charm to mentioned of without the forests, the ponds, the streams and the plains were, on and area of 5500hectares.

Combining the perfection of Nature and the creation of man, Chambord is both enchantment and beauty, inspiration and composition.
I find it more than a setting, a mere décor, its charm is magical.
There are places where stupidity and mediocrity disappear, Chambord is one of them.




**

Coming up next, Cheverny.

No comments:

Post a Comment