Pages

Friday, January 09, 2009

Winter Sales 2009 (More updates)

Sales in Paris are pretty much different from Singapore. Singapore can have sales any time for one reason or another, whereas, they have a date for all the shops in the country to flag a sale together and it is somehow controlled i.e. only 2 sales in 4 seasons.

Especially the winter sales is very much worth looking out for because you really get to save a lot if you are willing to wait. (I am one of them! Cos I still couldn't kick the habit of converting almost everything to SGD..)

Summer sales in Paris is terrible Their summer clothes are very disappointing in general. Poor, flimsy quality made in bangladesh, india, turkey or morocco but tagged with a price tag in Euros.

You can actually feel the excitement building up when the sales period draws near. This year, it started on the 7th Jan. On the eve, most of the stores closed at 1800hrs to prepare for the sales the next day. Big departmental stores open as early as 0800hrs.

I felt the tension when people were rushing into the stores, it makes me want to buy something too. When I was younger, I'll just rush in together with the crowd, now, however, I used my head instead of my heart or ass when it comes to spending. I draw up a list of what I actually need and look out for only these things instead of spending blindly just because there is a discount.

It's human psychology at work when you see people snatching up something, giving you the illusion that it must be good that's why people are grabbing and I must have it too! However, the adrénaline rush ends after you paid at the cashier. I've outgrown this phase, I'm glad.



Bitter & harsh winter this year.
1 week and still running -5degs & below.

Weather forecasts said that this La Nina effect will last for the first half of the year. Temperatures being lower than average.

I waited during the sales to get this kind plushy warm pyjamas. 50% off!! Else, it's just too expensive in my opinion even if the material is really of good quality. (I was wearing old school T-shirts & FBT in S'pore, great diff in pricing) Though the colour I wanted (grey) was long gone bef the sales started. Must be the X'mas crowd at work. I don't like girly colours esp. head to toe pink. Anyway, it's homewear, so heck with it. Now, I'm a happy girl clad in ultra comfy, warm pyjamas typing in the bedroom with a crazy -8degs outside.

W got me 2 coats. Comptoir des Cotonniers's cappuccino tulip cut coat and Espirit edc's parka. I set my eyes on the former but the price was horrifying before the sales. I told W I'll wait for the sales and if it's sold out bef that or during the sales, then it's just not meant to be. I was lucky, last piece on the rack and in my size during sales!

The parka is as good as my down jacket but minus the bulkiness. I was very surprised at how efficent it was at keeping the cold when I was only wearing a long sleeve knit beneath. Its wind breaking properties and thermal insulation materials really work. I like this cos it's more of a functional than a pretty outerwear, with 7 pockets as a bonus. Good for a girl like me who doesn't like to carry anything in my hands when I go out.

That's all I need and actually I don't like to squeeze with the crowd at all. I like to shop in a quiet environment. It just dampens my mood when everyone is so hyped up and everything in the store is in a mess! I don't feel like getting anything from the store like this. It gives me a headache. Take Bon marché for example, the supposedly Harrods equivalent or any high class shopping centres in Europe. I stepped in there yesterday to run an errand for my boss (my job's kind of nice at times), leather gloves were thrown into a goddamn cheaplooking cardboard box and some women were crowding around it. I peered into the box and I lose my urge to get anything. Why should I still pay 50 euros for one pair of those gloves thrown into a box like rubbish?

Anyhow, I'm happy!! cos that's a few hundred euros worth of savings! Good things come to those who wait.


Edited to add: Some of the elders gave us vouchers during X'mas, valid for 3 months. W & I wanted to use them during the sales to maximise the value. After an afternoon in Saint Lazare, we went home with 4 pairs of shoes. 2 pairs each. =)




Very stable, non slip heels with soles & in-soles
sharing the same design.






Dark blue leather boots.




All at 50% off!!

Even W who hates shopping said he loves sales!
Haha. =)


P/S: Jan is going to be some kind of a "happiest moments of the year" like dec. But I'm so afraid of all these high moments and all that smiles cos it won't be like this all the time. You know it when it's going downhill and all the melacholi-ness will hit you again. 乐不可极,乐极生哀;欲不可纵,纵欲成灾。 A phrase thousand years ago, yet still stand firm at present.

Anyways, Jas is coming in 2 days time!! Can't wait to snuggle up in her hotel room for some serious catching up, her kindness in helping me get those stuff I missed in S'pore. FM is on her way back from Taiwan too and she just told me over on MSN that she got tons of bento stuff for the both of us at only 30NT (0.60 euros) each!! Let's hope we can make our steamboat reunion dinner come true at her place this year. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment