Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Skinfood: Avocado

Spring! Bento for Monday


Contents: (In leaf-shaped onigiri) prawns, avocado, cucumber, katsuobushi; (Ingredients embedded within triangular onigiri) avocado, salmon, sakura furikake; fish tofu, sukura shaped kiwis, cherry tomatoes, fresh prawns, Spanish ham - chorizo

About 75% of an avocado's calories come from fat, most of which is monounsaturated fat. Avocados also have 60% more potassium than bananas. They are rich in B vitamins, as well as vitamin E and vitamin K. They have the highest fiber content of any fruit - including 75% insoluble and 25% soluble fiber.

I only take avocado once a week because it has very high fats content. Also, I don't really fancy avocados. I like my fruits to be full of juice, not buttery. I'm taking it just because it is good for the skin. Fortunately, it has almost not much taste to it. I'll usually give it a good splash of lemon juice before using it. Fresh lemon juice helps if you get sick of the buttery taste and texture easily.

High avocado intake has been shown to have an effect on blood serum cholesterol levels. Specifically, after a seven day diet rich in avocados, hypercholesterolemia patients showed a 17% decrease in total serum cholesterol levels. These subjects also showed a 22% decrease in both LDL (bad cholesterol) and triglyceride levels and 11% increase in HDL (good cholesterol) levels.

Apart from avocado, I'll try to eat fresh tomatoes or a handful of almonds for some Vitamin E. I take in loads of fresh fruits in my diet. I just buy fruits in the current season cos' they are much more price friendly. It's always good to eat according to the season, it gives you a balanced diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment