With my newly acquired toy - the Electric Milk Frother, I embarked onto another of my "kitchen experiments" in creating the unorthodox "Sado-style Green Tea" and the Green Tea Latte that I love at Starbucks.
I've got 2 types of green tea powder - I chose the one on the right this time.
No specific reasons, just feel like it.


I added 2 teaspoons of green tea powder, I'm a green tea lover, 2 teaspoons could be a little strong for some people. When I go Japan, I will practically choose green tea anything. This nation has completely optimised and utilised the properties and merits of green tea. They do the best green tea and green tea products.
Left: My electric milk frotter in action. Right: The traditional green tea you get during a Sado Tea Ceremony with a bamboo whisker (茶筅 chasen).

Truth be told, I think the milk frotter is one of the best equipment one could have in the kitchen if you are lazy like me (cos' the real thing using the bamboo whisker got my wrist aching and I still couldn't get the same foamy effect) but would want to enjoy a nice cup of foamy and light sado-style green tea every evening. As you can see from the pic on the left, I stopped right after a good 30-seconds of electric whisking. I'm not a tea expert, but the consistency and texture tasted identical to what I had during a sado ceremony.
Unorthodox "Modern" VS Traditional.

I was self-amusing by thinking what would happen if the host of a Sado ceremony takes out an electric milk frother instead of the usual bamboo whisker? LOL. That is such a hilarious, ironical sight that would never happen because Japanese are too much protocol-abiding to even think about this in the first place.

Subsequently, I did another glass with the previous steps repeated, but with another portion of milk added into it. I never knew Green Tea Latte is so simple with the electric milk frotter, and I felt a little bit cheated for paying Starbucks so much for such a simple cup of beverage. I made a second glass after my first DIY cup of Green Tea Latte.

Tips:
(1) A tall glass. If you can see from the pics, the foam generated can reach the top of the glass that I have, which is already not tall enough, but it is the tallest glass I have in the house. Less is more, go no more than half of the glass capacity.
(1) A tall glass. If you can see from the pics, the foam generated can reach the top of the glass that I have, which is already not tall enough, but it is the tallest glass I have in the house. Less is more, go no more than half of the glass capacity.
(2) Water temperature is a critical factor in bringing out the best qualities of green tea. If the water temperature is too hot, the tea will be too bitter and much of its delicate aroma will be lost; if the water temperature is too cool, the full flavor contained in the leaves will not be extracted.
A number of substances in the leaf contribute to the flavor and aroma of green tea. The overall flavor and sweetness of green tea is determined by a variety of amino acids and natural sugars. Bitterness and astringency are contributed by polyphenols ("tannins"). Amino acids dissolve at 60 °C while tannins dissolve at 80°C. Therefore, brewing green tea at lower temperatures will ensure that its sweet and complex flavors will not be overpowered by the bitter-tasting flavors.
As a general guideline, green teas taste best when brewed at temperatures between 60 °C - 85°C. The grade of the tea and the time of its harvest will also influence the appropriate steeping temperature. Green teas picked earlier in the spring will benefit from lower temperature brewing due to their overall higher levels of amino acids.
Gyokuro (玉露), one of the highest grades, is best brewed at 50°C - 60°C. Spring-picked Sencha (煎茶) tastes best at 70°C - 80°C. Summer-harvested Bancha (番茶) and Genmaicha (玄米茶) will exhibit their best flavor with a short infusion at higher temperatures of 80°C - 90°C.
A number of substances in the leaf contribute to the flavor and aroma of green tea. The overall flavor and sweetness of green tea is determined by a variety of amino acids and natural sugars. Bitterness and astringency are contributed by polyphenols ("tannins"). Amino acids dissolve at 60 °C while tannins dissolve at 80°C. Therefore, brewing green tea at lower temperatures will ensure that its sweet and complex flavors will not be overpowered by the bitter-tasting flavors.
As a general guideline, green teas taste best when brewed at temperatures between 60 °C - 85°C. The grade of the tea and the time of its harvest will also influence the appropriate steeping temperature. Green teas picked earlier in the spring will benefit from lower temperature brewing due to their overall higher levels of amino acids.
Gyokuro (玉露), one of the highest grades, is best brewed at 50°C - 60°C. Spring-picked Sencha (煎茶) tastes best at 70°C - 80°C. Summer-harvested Bancha (番茶) and Genmaicha (玄米茶) will exhibit their best flavor with a short infusion at higher temperatures of 80°C - 90°C.















I prefer white and floral teas over green tea, and green tea over black tea, and black tea over red tea ;)
ReplyDelete毛尖 is one of the best white teas for me. ^^
Though I'm curious about the 东方美人 tea...
-carol
LOL!! You really got me laughing!! What is 东方美人 tea? Such a corny name!! Drink liao will really reign the beauty of the East? ROFL. I tried 毛尖 before when my mom brought it from China. I like to see the flowers "blooming" in the pot when it comes to floral tea. =) Eu Yan Seng got some good selection of floral petals or tea or something, cheap too, but my luggage was severely overweight, couldn't bring them back. Very sad!
ReplyDelete(=_=)...... 东方美人 really does exist. It's a high-grade oolong tea specific to Taiwan...
ReplyDeleteBut you're right, I did raise an eyebrow when I first encountered the name of the tea, Beauty of the East... But don't you find it very poetic? ;)
There is one Chinese liquor that I have been searching in all the liquor stores but can never find the original (the one in SG supermarkets is not the real thing): 竹叶青.
This is a liquor made with pure spring water, bamboo leaves and some specific chinese herbs. Apparently, there is also a tea with the same name due to the shape of its tea leaves resembling that of the leaves. :)
- carol
Hey! I saw 竹叶青 at my parents' place when I was back home!! My mother wanted to shove as much goodies as possible in my luggages but I have to take them out in the end =( cos I really don't want to pay SGD100/kg for excess baggage at the airport. =( That was the 竹叶青 tea by the way. I didn't even see 竹叶青 liquor at NTUC or Cold Storage. Where did you see this liquor originally?
ReplyDeleteAlso, sorry manz, 东方美人 is really corny. LOL again. *I'm really laughing!!* Panpannie is really a very cute girl. Muhahahahaa!!
There's a flat green bottle of 竹叶青 liquor selling in NTUC at the wine section with the other Chinese liquors. I checked the ingredients and it's not the original 竹叶青 liquor that I want.
ReplyDeleteSeeing your reactions, I kind of regret mentioning the 东方美人 tea now... (=_=)......
- carol
ok, I really didn't see this cheong bottle of 竹叶青 liquor at NTUC. My eyes are always glued onto those different varieties of Umeshu they have there. Did you try all of them by the way? I rem they have the green, pink and orange versions. Damn! I didn't even see them selling at Dutyfree when I was at the Departure Hall.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I was thinking to myself how expensive table wine are in Singapore. JY bought a bottle of red wine from Chile at NTUC once and it tasted terrible. It didn't come cheap either.
Regarding 东方美人, I kinda associate you with this term now. LOL!! I wouldn't rem you liking white or floral tea, the moment you mention tea in future, I'll shout 东方美人!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK lah. I will stop. Of cos I know your likes and dislikes and list of taboo food. =D
You got me really curious on 东方美人. It is so famous that Wikipedia has an article on it!! Now, the way they described it, it makes me wanna try badly =( Especially this sentence, "... 東方美人茶獨特的熟果香和蜂蜜香氣,據說來自小綠葉蟬的叮咬而產生,因而茶園若要吸引小綠葉蟬群聚"
ReplyDelete東方美人茶,又名膨風茶、椪風茶、舊稱番庄烏龍,客家人亦稱其為冰風茶、煙風茶或稱為蜒仔茶,又因其茶芽白毫顯著,又名為白毫烏龍茶。是半發酵青茶中,發酵程度最重的茶品。
台灣茶葉改良場公佈的發酵度為60%,新竹苗栗地區茶農所製的發酵度則多達75-85%,使兒茶素幾乎一半以上半氧化,故不會產生任何「生菁臭」、「臭菁味」,且不苦不澀。主要產地在台灣的新竹、苗栗一帶。適合製作東方美人茶的茶種有「青心大冇」、「白毛猴」、「台茶15號」、「台茶17號」,其中以「青心大冇」品質最佳。如今,東方美人茶的採收必須在炎夏六、七月,農曆芒種至大暑間,即端午節前後10天,茶樹嫩芽經茶小綠葉蟬(小綠浮塵子)吸食後長成之茶芽,稱為「著涎」的茶菁,茶葉品質的好壞決定在「著涎」的程度。經手工採摘一心二葉,再以傳統技術精製而成高級烏龍茶,製茶過程的特點是:炒菁後,需多一道以布包裹,置入竹簍或鐵桶內的「靜置回潤」或稱「回軟」的二度發酵程序,再進行揉捻、解塊、烘乾而製成毛茶。再經分級、精製焙火、包裝。茶葉白毫肥大,葉身呈白、綠、黃、紅、褐五色相間,鮮豔可愛,有濃濃的果香或是蜂蜜香,西方飲茶人士譽之為東方美人(Oriental Beauty)。
東方美人茶獨特的熟果香和蜂蜜香氣,據說來自小綠葉蟬的叮咬而產生,因而茶園若要吸引小綠葉蟬群聚,那就絕對不能噴灑任何農藥。所以,有蟲害的東方美人茶才是最高級之極品。
"東方美人茶"一名來由有兩個傳說:
相傳百年前,英國茶商將此茶呈獻英國維多利亞女王,由於沖泡後,其外觀艷麗,猶如絕色美人漫舞在水晶杯中,品嘗後,女王讚不絕口而賜名「東方美人」。
傳說是1960年左右,膨風茶在英國舉辦的世界食物博覽會上得銀牌獎,而獻給英國女王伊麗莎白二世品嘗。女王品嘗後,讚不絕口,賜名「東方美人茶」。
其它名由
據說如在膨風茶的茶湯內加一滴白蘭地酒,風味更佳,深受歐美人士喜愛,而被稱為「香檳烏龍」。
據傳謝東閔先生為東方美人茶命名「福壽茶」。
早期膨風茶的毛茶運抵大稻埕茶棧,出口前,需在「番庄館」再經過一道烘焙與揀茶的精製過程,故舊稱為「番庄烏龍」。
heh heh, now you know why I want to try it, right?
ReplyDeleteI don't know if I ever mentioned it to you before but I've been jio-ing friends to go for the high-tea at the Tianfu Teahouse by Sichuan Douhua Restaurant (in UOB building near Clarke Quay). The weekend high tea features around 9 dimsum which is selected to match the 3 types of tea that come with them. The menu changes frequently and on one occasion, 東方美人 was one of the teas.
Unfortunately, till now, I still haven't found anyone interested enough to go for this high tea with me. No big tea lovers in my circle of friends, except me... am I so 老人 in my tastes?? ><
-carol
Hey! I heard about this restaurant! Why didn't you jio me manz? I'm a tea lover! And, I'm not a 老人 in my tastes, I'm just more towards the traditional type. LOL!
ReplyDeleteAnd you don't need to shout 東方美人 to me, you can just yell out pan-大美人. I'm satisfied being just a beauty without being a Beauty of the East, LOL~~
ReplyDelete-carol
you know what? now you are the one harping on "東方美人" My panpannie 大美人. Muhahahahaha!! Papannie 大美人 sounds cool.
ReplyDeleteYou know... if pronounced wrongly, it'll sound like 胖胖大美人... (=_=)......
ReplyDelete-carol
moi aussi j'adore le thé vert! :-)
ReplyDelete@Carol Stop it! You're making me laughing out LOUD in front of my computer screen on 胖胖大美人 now. You say one hor! Not me hor! LOL!!
ReplyDelete@Marie High 5!! =D